Monday, April 8, 2013

Connecting the Words and Concepts

One point we have really addressed this semester is the use of reading and writing within the classroom. By doing this it will increase the students vocabulary. However, as teachers we need to make sure the students are learning the appropriate academic language for our content area by providing connections and definitions among key words and concepts. This chapter focused on getting away from having students rely on rote memorization of the words and concepts. Students need to activate their prior knowledge on key concepts and words and provide connections among these.

I liked how this chapter provided ways on how to have students learn these two thing. Having the writing to learn strategies also mentioned here as a way to encourage students understanding of the words and concepts provided me with more context in which to use them. After our demonstrations, I could more easily see how they would be used in my math class but after reading this chapter I have been able to find key uses in which I can help students better their learning in my math class. Through the graphic organizer ideas as well as the varying writing to learn strategies it will help my students conceptualize different terms. Therefore, it will provide a good foundation into their reading of the the text books or other activities in which they may be used.

Throughout this chapter, I was challenged to incorporate the different strategies and techniques in my future practice as a teacher. Understanding mathematical concepts and terms are a vital success in achieving in the subject and through this chapter it gave me a foundation to help my students achieve. I have come to realize that the concepts and terms that need to be defined also need to have an active use in the classroom in order to avoid just rote memorization. Through varying applications it can really come through to students which is what is needed especially in my content area of math. 

No comments:

Post a Comment